guile-email discussion
  • * Re: [guile-email] Character display problem in mumi and my mail client
           [not found] <alpine.DEB.2.20.1907171636590.9756@marsh.hcoop.net>
           [not found] ` <87zhlbg4aw.fsf@elephly.net>
    @ 2019-07-18 10:23 ` Arun Isaac
    From: Arun Isaac @ 2019-07-18 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: Jack Hill, guix-devel; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, guile-email

    Hi,

    Thanks for the bug report!

    > It appears that mumi (or at least the instance of it running on
    > issues.guix.gnu.org) has problems displaying some non-ASCII characters. I
    > noticed it with '’'. Compare
    >
    > https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36207
    >
    > with
    >
    > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36207
    >
    > In the former, Ludo's name displays as 'Ludo¢' while it the latter, it
    > displays correctly as 'Ludo’'.
    >
    > However, in Ludo's reply the character is displayed correctly.
    >
    > Does this indicate that my mail client (alpine on Debian Stretch) is doing
    > the wrong thing? It seems that mumi could handle this situation better
    > since it debbugs appears to handle it correctly.
    >
    > Looking at the raw mail downloaded from debbugs, I see that I'm sending
    > mail as with the following encoding:
    >
    > ```
    > ```
    >
    > while Ludo's mail is:
    >
    > ```
    > ```
    >
    > Interestingly, when I download the mbox file for my mail from debbugs, and
    > looking at it Emacs with my en_us.UTF-8 locale, the cents-symbol appears.
    > Using iconv to convert the file from ISO-8859-7 to UTF8, causes the
    > correct character to display. So what looks to be happening is that mumi
    > is interpreting my messages using the wrong encoding.
    >
    > Thoughts? Is this something we want to fix?

    I think this is a bug in guile-email. On brief examination, I found that
    guile-email is assuming charset of UTF-8 when the
    Content-Transfer-Encoding is 8bit. This is incorrect behaviour. I will
    fix this soon.

    Regards,
    Arun.

    [-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

    --

  • * Re: [guile-email] Character display problem in mumi and my mail client
           [not found] <alpine.DEB.2.20.1907171636590.9756@marsh.hcoop.net>
           [not found] ` <87zhlbg4aw.fsf@elephly.net>
    @ 2019-07-28  7:33 ` Arun Isaac
                         ` (2 more replies)