guile-email discussion
From: Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
To: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, guile-email@systemreboot.net
Subject: Re: [guile-email] Character display problem in mumi and my mail client
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:03:51 +0530	[thread overview]

> It appears that mumi (or at least the instance of it running on
> issues.guix.gnu.org) has problems displaying some non-ASCII characters. I
> noticed it with '’'. Compare
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36207
>
> with
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36207

I have fixed this bug. See
https://git.systemreboot.net/guile-email/commit/?id=ac83c2a00c13702bc365cd0f3074239fa63d743f
and
https://git.systemreboot.net/guile-email/commit/?id=1f7c45fa0b71bd137e4b661e0d473c3eb9c98f48

guile-email's parse-email and parse-email-body functions now prefer to
operate on bytevectors, rather than on strings. Likewise, mbox->emails
now returns a list of bytevectors, not a list of strings.

I have updated the API documentation at
https://guile-email.systemreboot.net/manual/Parsing-e_002dmail.html#Parsing-e_002dmail

@Ricardo:

I think you are using a git checkout of guile-email for the mumi hosted
at issues.guix.info. Could you use the latest guile-email commit on
master (specifically, c85e6917ea21631857d93f58e60d910e07317131)? That
should fix this bug. No other changes are required in mumi. I will
release guile-email 0.2.0 in another week's time.

> This reminds me of rjbs's talk, "Email Hates the Living". [0]
>
> [0] http://yapcasia.org/2011/talk/59

Indeed, email drags along a lot of backward compatibility baggage from
the past. In the future, I'll add some of the pathological examples
mentioned in this talk as test cases.

Also, if you know of any corpus of email parser test cases, please let
me know. I will use them to expand guile-email's test suite.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

--

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
To: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Cc: guile-email@systemreboot.net, guix-devel@gnu.org
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:03:51 +0530	[thread overview]

> It appears that mumi (or at least the instance of it running on
> issues.guix.gnu.org) has problems displaying some non-ASCII characters. I
> noticed it with '’'. Compare
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36207
>
> with
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36207

I have fixed this bug. See
https://git.systemreboot.net/guile-email/commit/?id=ac83c2a00c13702bc365cd0f3074239fa63d743f
and
https://git.systemreboot.net/guile-email/commit/?id=1f7c45fa0b71bd137e4b661e0d473c3eb9c98f48

guile-email's parse-email and parse-email-body functions now prefer to
operate on bytevectors, rather than on strings. Likewise, mbox->emails
now returns a list of bytevectors, not a list of strings.

I have updated the API documentation at
https://guile-email.systemreboot.net/manual/Parsing-e_002dmail.html#Parsing-e_002dmail

@Ricardo:

I think you are using a git checkout of guile-email for the mumi hosted
at issues.guix.info. Could you use the latest guile-email commit on
master (specifically, c85e6917ea21631857d93f58e60d910e07317131)? That
should fix this bug. No other changes are required in mumi. I will
release guile-email 0.2.0 in another week's time.

> This reminds me of rjbs's talk, "Email Hates the Living". [0]
>
> [0] http://yapcasia.org/2011/talk/59

Indeed, email drags along a lot of backward compatibility baggage from
the past. In the future, I'll add some of the pathological examples
mentioned in this talk as test cases.

Also, if you know of any corpus of email parser test cases, please let
me know. I will use them to expand guile-email's test suite.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
To: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, guile-email@systemreboot.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:03:51 +0530	[thread overview]