Tamil computing group
From: Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
To: Jai Vetrivelan <jaivetrivelan@gmail.com>,
	raamannp@gmail.com, Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com>,
	tshrinivasan@gmail.com, jkottalam@gmail.com,
	Thanga Ayyanar <thangaayyanar@gmail.com>,
	Mohan R <mohan43u@gmail.com>, Iron Man <stark20236@gmail.com>,
	"Ashok Ramachandran (via Google Docs)" <ashokramach@gmail.com>
Cc: tamil@systemreboot.net
Subject: Re: An Attempt in Emacs Translation
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 21:21:48 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Jai,

This is a good translation. I spotted a couple of minor spelling errors,
but I trust they will be corrected in the final proofreading.

> Kill - "அகற்றுதல்"; Delete - "நீக்குதல்"; Undo - "மீளமை"; Yank - "ஒட்டு"
> Crash - "வீழ்ச்சி"; Occurrence - "நிகழ்வு"; Terminate - "செயல்முறி";
> Type <chr> - "<chr> என்று தட்டச்சிடவும்"; Scroll - "திரையுருட்டல்"

These translations are alright, except for Kill. In Emacs jargon, kill
not only means to delete, but also to copy into the kill ring. So, kill
is really "kill+copy". But, somehow this added meaning has come to be
implicit in English usage. Getting the same nuanced translation in Tamil
will be very difficult. We really need a large body of Tamil Emacs users
who are willing to use these words everyday and create the subtle shades
of meaning that is so easy in English.

Also, Delete could be translated as அழி.

Thank you very much for your efforts. I know that a translation this
size is no easy task. Please take this work to completion for all to
benefit. Even if you published this as is without any changes, it would
be a step in the right direction.

Regards,
Arun