Tamil computing group
From: Jai Vetrivelan <jaivetrivelan@gmail.com>
To: Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com>, Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
Cc: tshrinivasan@gmail.com, jkottalam@gmail.com,
	Thanga Ayyanar <thangaayyanar@gmail.com>,
	Mohan R <mohan43u@gmail.com>, Iron Man <stark20236@gmail.com>,
	"Ashok Ramachandran (via Google Docs)" <ashokramach@gmail.com>,
	tamil@systemreboot.net
Subject: Re: An Attempt in Emacs Translation
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 03:28:24 +0530	[thread overview]

Hello,

On 2024-03-08, 22:30 +0530, Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, I am not sure if I am suited to suggest fixes for the
> translation since I have fallen out of the habit of reading Tamil for
> years now since my education requires me to read, write, and converse in
> English.  That said, unfortunately I didn't get proper focused time to
> read the translation so the only comment from what I went through
> superficially is: is there a better word for command?  கட்டளை doesn't
> sound like the right word to me since Emacs is not really a person.  [ I
> can only imagine Vadivelu being Pulikesi when I read கட்டளை in the
> translation.  :P ]

Unfortunately, the same translation is used in other fields in the same
context.  A lot of words might not appear apt to the text, but they’re
used almost everywhere,  and I didn’t want to deviate from that.

Of course, if there’s a better suggestion we could use that.

> Same on this account too: I have only ever participated in
> English-speaking communities.  I wonder if Jambunathan [1] will also be
> a better judge of the translation?  AFAIU, he is still active and was
> active when tamil-itrans was initially added to Emacs.  Apart from him,
> whoever runs emacsnotes [2] might know about this landscape more but
> they could end up being the same person...

Jambunathan told me (he forgot to CC the rest of us) that he had some
disagreements with the core developers and had revoked his contributor
agreements, not involving himself with emacs-devel anymore.

--
Jai Vetrivelan